Great Apps for Halloween
Whether you already go all-out for All Hallows Eve or just want to step things up a bit this year, there are lots of Apple-compatible apps out there to help you spook-up your Halloween celebrations.
Ideas for Decorating, Entertaining, and Costuming
- Scary Halloween Sound Effects (free with in-app purchases, ages 9+) – Bring an audio-element to your spooky scene with this app of freaky noises. You can make themes and play sounds on a loop for continuous horror.
- Halloween Live Wallpapers – ($1.39, ages 4+) Get your iPhone into super spooky mode with backgrounds that come to life when you press and hold using 3D touch.
- Craftsy (free with in-app purchases, ages 4+) – This official app of Craftsy, your one-stop shop for all things craft and cooking, offers great costume ideas and food recipes your haunted get-together. With online classes and project kits for sale, you’ll be DIYing Halloween in no time!
- Halloween Party Invitations & Cards (free with in-app purchases, ages 4+) – Send paperless themed party invites to your family and friends.
- Ghost Detector Scare Prank! ($1.39, ages 12+) – Freak out your party guests with this fake ghost radar. Working on a timer, the radar will indicate a ghost the area then emit spooky noises before a scary face flashes on the screen.
- HalloweenFlix – (free, ages 12+) – Watch a huge selection of classic and cult horror movies (age appropriateness varies).
Games for Kids
Need your kids to settle down after getting hopped-up on sugar? Try giving them one of these Halloween themed games, all of which are free (with in-app purchases available) and appropriate for ages 4+.
- Halloween City – Create a personalized Halloween-themed city with werewolves, pumpkins, zombies and more! Collect coins to unlock more items as you explore spooky houses and ghost lairs. Take pictures of your city to share with friends.
- Monster Doctor – Even monsters go to the doctor when they get hurt. Help them get better by diagnosing and treating their injuries.
- Halloween Face Paint Salon – All the fun of face paint without the mess! Paint your characters’ faces with designs from pumpkins to princesses, then hop into the closet to try on outfits and accessories.
- Candy Halloween Games Match 3 – Match similar pieces of candy in groups three clear or more them from the board. Collect special pieces to win free boosters.
- Word Search Halloween – Tap or slide to find hidden Halloween words. With three difficulty levels, there are also hints if necessary or you can hide the word list for an added challenge.
- Halloween Hidden Objects Mystery Game – Find hidden objects in, pulling out your magnifying glass for help with small items. Try to beat the clock and gain at least three stars to move on to the next level.
Activities for Grown-Ups
Once the kids are in bed, you may want to try one of these gruesome activities for ages 17+.
- Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle – Stalk and slay campers with horror icon Jason Voorhees. Choose between “R” and “PG” modes as you work through 8 episodes with over 100 levels.
- VR Horror: The Halloween Room – Available in VR and non-VR mode, this app challenges you to escape an old farmhouse with hidden hospital labs after your two friends are killed by a half human muscle mutant.
- The Walking Dead: The Game – Experience the true horror of a zombie apocalypse in this five-part episodic game set in the universe of Robert Kirkman’s award-winning comic book series. Each action and decision taken to tailor your game experience.
- The Walking Dead: Dead Yourself – Import a photo of yourself and transform it into a realistic zombie using more than forty features and props. Share your zombified picture on Facebook, Messenger, What’s App, etc.
Best wishes for a safe and spooky Halloween!
A blog by Danica Wong.
Learn how to add your vaccination card to Apple Wallet using iOS 15.1
At its October 18th Unleashed event, Apple unveiled the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, powered by the impressive new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips. Read on for details.
September is traditionally when new iPhones are ripe for...
Although spam remains as much of a scourge as...